marv

Don't spam me

Monday, October 09, 2006

Guitar classes

Every Saturday morning at 9.30am, I have guitar classes at Mahogany SS2.
To be honest, I feel as though I have not been improving much. For many months, I have been considering to have my classes somewhere else.
That opportunity came when I decided to get a new electric guitar. Since I am already getting a new guitar, might as well get a new teacher also right? :p

I have always had problems motivating myself to practise the guitar everyday. That was until a few months ago. I have a female colleague who learns guitar, at Mahogany SS2, and under the same teacher!
She just started classes recently but I was afraid that she would bypass me.
During this time, I practised as often as I could to make sure that my standard would always be higher than her's.
Yes, I am kiasu.

During this time, I managed to re-discover my passion for playing the guitar.
I went round enquiring about classes and guitars, collecting name cards and guitar catalogs so that I can consider my options. Among the places that I have been to, the one that impressed me the most was The Guitar Store at Damansara Perdana.
It seems very likely that I will get my next guitar from there. I was attended to by a guy named Steven. He gave me a very detailed explanation of the guitar that he recommended to me then he gave me a demo of the guitar (meaning he played it as I watched).

At that point, I told him that I was interested in the classes also.
He asked me to show him what I can play and so I did.
After I played my rubbish, he told me that my technique was not right and he asked me where I was learning before this.
Out of shame, I told him that I stopped classes for many years already :(
As for the classes, he told me that I should start from beginner level all over again to correct my technique.

Actually, I didn't mind coz they charge based on the student's level and beginner's class is only rm90 compared to the rm130 that I used to pay at Mahogany.
If I have to improve my technique then so be it! The foundation is the most important. I just wonder why my previous teacher never told me that I wasn't doing it right. So I asked Steven if he was giving guitar classes there.
He said "Oh, I am a drum teacher.".
Shit, he could play pretty damn well for a drum teacher.

That made me wonder..
Ok... a drum teacher telling me my technique is wrong... maybe he is a bullshitting bastard.

OR MAYBE

A drum teacher also can spot that I am not doing it right. Is my previous guitar teacher fucking blind or something?!

I thought about it for a while then I decided. I should quit my classes at Mahogany since I was not happy about classes there anyway. This month will be my final month there.
So I will give it a shot at the Guitar Studio. If it doesn't work out... well... there's still Bentley Music School at Jln Bukit Bintang or I could go crawling back to Mahogany :P

1 Comments:

  • At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    how come u never asked me to teach u wan..? im a drums and a guitar teacher.. maybe i wont bullshit! hehehehe call me lar.. we can discuss wan.. hehehhe


    :)
    tonyleoselvaraj

     

Post a Comment

<< Home