marv

Don't spam me

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Meeting with boss

If you have read my post from yesterday, you will know that I have the intention to quit my current job and move on to another company. Therefore, I had a meeting with my boss yesterday to speak to him regarding my intentions without handing in the resignation letter first.

We had a long discussion. It was roughly about 1 and a half hours in the meeting room. My eyes felt damn tired in there with the stupid sunlight glaring into my eyes. Everytime my boss looked away, I would rub my eyes, trying to keep my eyes open.

I started off the meeting by telling him that I already had a job offer and that I was interested in taking it. I asked him when would be the most convenient time for me to leave should I hand in my resignation letter later this week. He told me that he would have to check first. Then he asked me why I want to leave. I gave him 4 or 5 reasons which only the important ones i will mention.

Among the reasons, I mentioned that I wanted advancement opportunities. I don't want to be just 'a programmer'. Unfortunately, the company structure is such that I am the one and only programmer here. There is no climbing up. My boss said that yes, larger organizations have properly defined company structures but for smaller companies like this one, there will always be a possibility that they may introduce new positions when the need arises. He even told me that if I stayed, he could foresee me leading a team of programmers and working on larger projects. Actually, he's already told me this before. But I've told him I am not prepared for it.
How can???
It would be like... the blind leading the blind!
If I became a project manager and I don't do a good job at it, people will start to dislike me. Trust me.. I speak from experience.

I also did hint that partly, one of the reasons was because of the salary. Although I don't have a wife and children to feed, I have an appetite equilvalent to that of a wife and 3 children to satisfy.
As I expected (not that I am some damn big-shot), my boss offered to increase my salary should I decide to stay but it was almost a year since my last one anyway. It's not a bad increment by my boss' standard but it will probably not be sufficient to keep me here.
During my interview with MNC, they had asked me what are the chances that my boss will counter-offer?
I said 90%.
Then they said would you still leave?
I said yes.
That was an interview.. of coz have to convince them.
But it does look very likely that I will leave this time.

My boss also mentioned that he has projects that will need my participation and that he has already planned projects that will involve me. I appreciate that he values my ability (what ability?) but that just won't cut it for me. Plans and promises are nothing until they are executed. Same thing happened when I wanted to resign for the same reason at the end of last year.
What was the outcome? No changes, no improvement, and I regretted for not leaving.

What happens now? I'm waiting for my offer letter from the other company and at the same time, waiting for my current company to decide how long they intend to keep me here before I can leave. Of course, that better not be longer than the notification period and sumore I have some annual leave. So it shouldn't be more than 3 weeks.
Wish me luck...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home